Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I Hope He Never Is.

From the time my oldest (now 10) was between 18-24 months old he started to travel with me for my job. Many of my accounts came to know him and he them. We could go into a store and I could tell him what to do and he would do it. I've changed diapers in parking lots and rest stops. Gone swimming in countless hotel pools. And I've even lost a fairly nice set of head phones when I made the mistake of letting him wear them to watch a movie while we were driving once.  He was my best buddie in the whole world and my co-pilot along many miles of road. On the times that he wasn't with me, he would meet me every night. I would call home when I was about 1/3 mile from home and as I would turn the penske truck into the spot next to out little house, he and my wife would be standing there waiting. I would pull up and put the truck into park and then signal and he'd come a runnin'. He would climb onto my lap and help me drive as I would turn the truck around behind the house. Once parked again he would play with the lights or wipers, or heater, or something else and just laugh with me.
     I really miss those times. Once he started pre-school it was harder and harder to take him because of his school schedule. The younger son went with me a few times, but he was just never the traveler that his brother was. What started as at least monthly trips, dwindled down to maybe once a year. (twice if we were lucky) The special bond we shared wained. I admit I'm to blame more than him. I miss what we had something fierce and now I'm not sure how to get it back. In a few weeks he will go with me for my next trip and this one will be for almost two full weeks. I'm excited and scared at the same time. I want to reconnect with him in and maybe rekindle what we once had, but I'm afraid that I won't know what to say. I want to be not only a good dad to him, but his friend. I want him to know that he can come to me for anything. He's sooo much like me that it's painful for me to watch sometimes. I think I know better than anyone what he's going through. I was terribly shy when I was his age and so is he. I had no idea really who I was and he is the same. If anyone should be albe to understand him is should be me. I think he feels the same way too. It's like he wants to have what we once did, but doesn't know how to either. The other day I was sitting at my desk playing a game on the computer and he came down and stood by me for a little while and then said, "Dad. I know I'm probably too old, but can I sit on your lap?" I held my arm up and he sat down on my lap and just watched me play, as I just had my arm around him. You know, I hope he never is too old to sit on my lap. I hope he never is afraid to ask if he can. And ohhhh how I hope that I'm never dumb enought to say NO.

2 comments:

  1. Well, how is the trip going? My sons are at your house this weekend and your oldest is out on the road with his dad. They will miss their cousin, but I'm glad he is not there... know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete