Thursday, July 7, 2011

Wow, that looks cool!

I pick favorites football teams on sight. That's not to say I choose them right away, but rather by what they look like. When I was in 2nd grade everyone seemed to be either Dallas Cowboys or Pittsburg Steelers fans. I wanted to be different, but as a 7-8 year old I had no idea even what teams were out there. I remember opening the Sears holiday cataglog (remember those?) and going to a page where you could order kids football helmets for every team. I looked at the different helmets and saw the lightning bolt on the side of the San Diego Chargers helmet. How cool is that!? A LIGHTNING BOLT! I was now a Chargers fan and have been ever since. A few years later the USFL started up and thanks to a special insert in Sports Illustrated that showed the helmets of the new teams, I became a New Jersey Generals fan. The Oakland Invaders were a close second, but lightning bolts weren't quite as cool by then. The Frankfurt Galaxy, the Scottish Claymores, and the Orlando Rage.  All picked because of how they looked. I guess that's one of the advantages of not having a local team, you can pick any one for any reason. Now Baseball...that's a WHOLE different story.

2 comments:

  1. So I guess I became a chargers fan by marriage.
    Have fun with Z.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just excited to see an Orlando team in your lineup. I remember how crushed I was when john Cappelletti was traded from the Rams to the chargers. i also remember you teasing me that Ram Trucks were just like my football team. Of course, we all remember the day Dodge made their charger!!!

    ReplyDelete